Prestige Possibilities I
With the playoffs around the corner, a select group of players look to accomplish feats few before them have managed
Sixteen teams in WED, eight in SUN. A hundred players glance at the bracket, a glimmer in their eyes, hoping to hoist the trophy with their team — but a select few come into the playoffs with dreams of accomplishing especially extraordinary feats. Today, we will look at what those possibilities for rare prestige are, which players can lay claim to these coveted triumphs, as well as whose dreams will be dashed after the first round.
This will be a recurring series, though as the list gets slimmer through the rounds, I’m likely to integrate it into another piece. This first part, however, will stand on it’s own, since there’s a fair bit to go over.
…aka the Fred
The double in RD2L is a simple, yet exceedingly rare accomplishment. It comes then as no surprise that it is also aptly called the Fred, in honor of the only player who has managed to achieve it in the now distant past of season 14.
Nineteen individuals can look towards becoming the second to achieve this feat in season 20, all of them set to compete in the playoffs of both divisions.
The 19 in question, with the teams they play on in WED and SUN respectively, are:
- Darba (Darba/Play)
- Harbinger (Darba/Harbinger)
- Play (Play/Play)
- Boelens (Kimer/Madsen)
- ColNilsOlav (Kimer/Madsen)
- Debowy (Debowy/Kevin Richardson)
- hi5 (Debowy/hi5)
- LukeSkyFAKER (Severe/Harbinger)
- Laavi (Laavi/hi5)
- Mikel (Laavi/T-Reds)
- Maus (Laavi/Maus)
- Kuroame (Joll/Maus)
- Kalisdar (Kalisdar/Kevin Richardson)
- Acid (Kalisdar/Grimmjow)
- Waloo (Barg/Maus)
- PONPO (Barg/T-Reds)
- Madsen (Madsen/Madsen)
- bitch im a cow (Madsen/hi5)
- Grimmjow (Reddydas/Grimmjow)
- Fred (WED/SUN, S14)
- Darba, Play, Boelens and ColNilsOlav have, at a glance, the best chances, being part of a top 4 team in both divisions.
- Play and Madsen are the only ones with a shot at claiming the first-ever Captain Double (ie, winning the double while captaining both teams).
With the playoff matchups revealed, we can also decipher which of our hopefuls might potentially make an early exit from the list; I will not go into what the chances are for anyone to stay in or to drop out, but rather just go over all of the possibilities.
WED — Playoff Round 1
- In the Darba — Crispy Bacon matchup, we could see Darba and Harbinger drop from the list.
- In the Severe — Joll matchup, we will see either LukeSkyFAKER or Kuroame drop from the list.
- In the Kimer — Barg matchup, we could see either Boelens and ColNilsOlav, or Waloo and PONPO drop from the list.
- In the Holy Harry — Kalisdar matchup, we could see Kalisdar and Acid drop from the list.
- In the Brainy Gonzo — Reddydas matchup, we could see Grimmjow drop from the list.
- In the Debowy — Madsen matchup, we could see either hi5 and Debowy, or Madsen and bitch im a cow drop from the list.
- In the Play — Stl matchup, we could see Play drop from the list.
- In the Gains — Laavi matchup, we could see Laavi, Mikel and Maus all drop from the list, which is the highest number of losses to the list that could occur in this round of WED playoffs.
SUN — Playoff Round 1
- In the Madsen — Harbinger matchup, we could see either Boelens, NilsOlav and Madsen, or Harbinger and LukeSkyFAKER drop from the list.
- In the hi5 — Grimmjow matchup, we could see either hi5, Laavi and bitch im a cow, or Acid and Grimmjow drop from the list.
- In the T-Reds — Maus matchup, we could see either Mikel and PONPO, or Maus, Kuroame and Waloo drop from the list.
- In the Kevin Richardson — Play matchup, we could see either Kalisdar and Debowy, or Darba and Play drop from the list.
I won’t go over all the possibilities when taking both divisions into account, since that would get a bit messy and extend an already fairly long section, though obviously the combination is very important and each division has a massive impact.
The Back to Back
While perhaps not quite as rare as the Double, the Back to Back is nonetheless still a highly uncommon phenomenon; winning one season is hard enough — winning two is even harder, but winning two in a row is exceedingly difficult. With that said, it is a feat that has been accomplished multiple times (mostly in recent seasons, as a matter of fact), but before we get into the list of players who have achieved this previously, we look at the current season.
When looking at the 11 champions of season 19, a staggering nine are still in the running in season 20. The nine in question are:
All six of the WED S19 Champions:
- Holy Harry (Holy Harry), with a potential B2B of WED-WED.
- Harbinger (Darba/Harbinger), with two potential B2Bs: WED-WED and WED-SUN.
- Mikel (Laavi/T-Reds), with two potential B2Bs: WED-WED and WED-SUN.
- STJ (Darba), with a potential B2B of WED-SUN.
- Boelens (Kimer/Madsen), with two potential B2Bs: WED-WED and WED-SUN.
- Mewes (Laavi), with a potential B2B of WED-WED.
Three of five SUN S19 Champions:
- Kimer (Kimer), with a potential B2B of SUN-WED.
- bitch im a cow (Madsen/hi5), with two potential B2Bs: SUN-WED and SUN-SUN.
- GrimR (Madsen), with a potential B2B of SUN-SUN.
Previous Back to Backs:
- sbx320: Season 6, Season 7
- Ruskomsnusk: Season 16, Season 17
- Hazel: Season 18, Season 19
- Harbinger: Season 18, Season 19
Bold indicates players who are in the playoffs of season 20. This also shows us that Harbinger has the potential to become the first player in the history of RD2L to win three seasons in a row.
Back to Lack
With the possibilities out of the way, we can now look at the matchups which might shorten this list.
- Holy Harry could be out if his team loses to Kalisdar in WED.
- STJ could be out if his team loses to Kevin Richardson’s in SUN.
- Mewes could be out if his team loses to Gains’ in WED.
- Kimer could be out if his team loses to Barg’s in WED.
- GrimR could be out if his team loses to Harbinger’s in SUN.
You’ll have noticed that four of the nine potential back to back champions are still in both divisions — they have much greater chances, and make up a group of players who could potentially become the first in the history of RD2L to achieve a Back to Back AND Double. They are:
- Harbinger, who would be out of contention only if he loses to both Crispy Bacon in WED and Madsen in SUN.
- Mikel, who would be out of contention only if he loses to both Gains in WED and Maus in SUN.
- Boelens, who would be out of contention only if she loses to both Barg in WED and Harbinger in SUN.
- bitch im a cow, who would be out of contention only if he loses to both Debowy in WED and Grimmjow in SUN.
Over the years of RD2L, many players have managed to win two main season championships. Winning three, however, is a feat only six players in the history of RD2L can boast, based on the surviving records:
- Paul (Seasons 6, 9 and 12)
- Den’den (Seasons 6, 9 and 11)
- sbx320 (Seasons 6, 7 and 11)
- Mikel (Seasons 10, 15 and 19)
- Holy Harry (Seasons 9, 17 and 19)
- Harbinger (Seasons 16, 18 and 19)
With five of the six, Paul excluded, remaining in the running in season 20, there is a chance that we may see a new record — any one of these five players has the opportunity to become the first player in RD2L’s history to win a ludicrous 4 main season championships. However, it could — theoretically — be even more interesting than that.
When looking at the five contenders, Den’den, sbx320 and Holy Harry are playing only WED, with Mikel and Harbinger playing both WED and SUN.
This brings two implications to the table:
- If one of Den’den, sbx320 or Holy Harry win WED, while one of Mikel or Harbinger wins SUN, we could have our first two quadruple champions in the same season.
- If either Mikel or Harbinger were to claim the double this season, we would simultaneously have both the first quadruple AND quintuple champions. Wild.
There are too many stories and possibilities for one man to cover — ones that might be just as interesting, even if they’re not quite as rare — I just thought that the ones I went over are very fun possibilities to consider. As I mentioned at the start, I’ll keep updating these storylines as the playoffs develop. Cheers!
My writing routine, more often than not, is to take a walk and grab a coffee somewhere. If you want to support my content, you can buy me one of those, but I’ll keep writing as long as there’s stuff to write about, no matter what. I’ve honestly been a bit overwhelmed by the support over the last couple of months, and it’s pretty hard to convey how much it genuinely means to me that someone would go out of their way to express that support. Massive thank you to everyone!
Thanks for reading!